SENIOR FINANCE COORDINATOR
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
This position supports the financial management, financial reporting, annual budget development and maintenance, revenue and cash management, donor audits, performance research and analysis, and compliance for the Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund (CEPF) and Conservation Finance Division (CFD). This position reports to the Senior Director of Finance and Operations for CEPF and CFD.
The Conservation Finance Division (CFD) is comprised of: Carbon Fund; Climate, Community & Biodiversity Alliance (CCBA); Conservation International Ventures (CIV); Conservation Stewards Program (CSP); and the Global Conservation Fund (GCF). Combined, these programs have an annual operating budget of $4-7 million and an additional $5-15 million in grantmaking & investments.
The Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund (CEPF) has an annual operating budget of approximately $3-4million, and an additional $12 – 18 million in grants to civil society organizations.
Financial Reporting & Reconciliation:
- Assist with financial reporting by conducting monthly reconciliations between CI’s various financial systems of grant, contract, and loan/investment expenses. This may include monthly reconciliations of: Grant and contract expenses between CI’s various financial systems & bank accounts; accounts receivable / payable; interest earned; expense categorization; and indirect costs.
- Prepare draft donor reports in prescribed formats based on the financial records for internal review and submission to donors.
- Support the internal financial reporting requirements for CEPF and CFD programs as necessary. This will include compiling inter-divisional financial reports for review with Fund Managers for inter-divisional projects.
- Create and update relevant internal management dashboards and reports.
- Use information gathered from reports to inform budget management considerations and suggestions to be presented to supervisor.
Budget Management & Evaluation:
- Develop annual budget by establishing templates and coordinating with cost center managers and division heads; and support ongoing management of budget for CEPF and CFD programs.
- Lead budget entry into CI budget system (Clarity).
- Prepare and analyze budget vs actual expenditure reports on a monthly basis for delivery to and discussion with appropriate budget managers within CEPF and CFD.
- Manage inventory tracking, and facilities/rental allocations.
- Manage timesheet guidance and approve timesheets in system as required.
- Lead submission of journal entry reclasses for CEPF and CFD.
Revenue & Cash Management:
- Lead the grant registration process for CEPF and CFD programs, ensuring that all donor agreements, amendments, and incoming revenues are properly recorded.
- Monitor & project cash balances.
- Track accounts receivable.
- Review overall spending levels on donors and research variances and donor overspends.
- Prepare payment invoices/requests for donors and reports for cash replenishment.
- Manage and track revenue from carbon offsets generated through the online carbon offset calculator.
- Support the tracking of carbon offset accounts and proceeds from carbon credit sales contracts across divisional carbon project portfolio.
- Maintain financial team calendar and other internal tracking systems as required.
- Assist with the operational implementation of new projects, including reconciliation of financial issues and the setup of new systems and databases.
- Manage inventory tracking and procurement requests.
- Process and/or approve vendor invoices and staff expenses.
- Support audit process and other financial or compliance requests as needed.
- Provide ad-hoc financial analysis and reports as requested.
- Prepare small project proposal budgets and provide inputs for support of intra-divisional budget development.
- Assist with other business development proposals.
- Support HR and operations needs of program to communicate and enforce CI policies and procedures with staff.
- Minimal travel of 1-2 trips per year may be required of the position to domestic or international locations.
- Two to Four years of related work experience.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multi-cultural team.
- Strong analytical skills with respect to various forms of data and experience with complex information management.
- Ability to summarize and communicate financial information to decision-makers in ways that suggest solutions.
- Ability to priotize and manage competing deadlines.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Ability to work effectively with remote colleagues.
- Advanced proficiency of Microsoft Excel (pivot tables, vlookups, advanced data manipulation, advanced formulas, and other data analysis tools available in Excel).
- Excellent self-management and upward management skills including proactive communication to colleagues of progress against expectations.
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in accounting or finance or related field.
- Spanish and/or French language proficiency.
- Interest in biodiversity, environmental conservation, and climate change issues.
- Interest and experience in measuring a program’s efficiency, effectiveness, and impact.
- Familiarity with BusinessWorld/Agresso financial system and Clarity budget system.
- Good sense of humor.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter.
Conservation International is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of CI to afford equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. CI offers reasonable accommodation in the employment process for individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. If you require an application accommodation due to a disability, please e-mail your request to email@example.com and include "accommodation" in the subject line.
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms.
Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions.
Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.