Robert Taira founded King’s Hawaiian in Hilo Hawaii 64 years ago and, after capturing the lion’s share of the bakery business on the big island, moved the business to Honolulu in the 60’s. There, King’s Hawaiian became not only the largest bakery business and a successful restaurant, but also the largest customer in Hawaii of the US Postal Service due to the huge mail order business from stateside consumers who craved the Original Sweet Bread. To realize the next vision in his plan, Robert moved the business to Torrance, CA in the early 70’s where it resides today with two restaurants and two bakery plants including one of the most modern in the industry. King’s Hawaiian is continuing to grow and built a brand new bakery facility near Atlanta GA that went live in October 2011.
The company, which is still 100% family owned, is now led by Robert’s son Mark who serves as CEO and continues the family’s long time commitment to irresistible quality and behavioral values that make King’s Hawaiian a great place to work.
Mission Statement: We deliver irresistible Hawaiian foods and Aloha Spirit that families love everywhere everyday.
Core Values: Excellence / Dignity / Telling it like it is, in a way that can be heard
The Food Safety Foreman will be concerned with any operation in any department that may directly or indirectly affect the production of a clean product.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Recommends measures to improve cleaning methods and time efficiency.
2. Trains employees.
3. Trains or directs the training of new employees or employees who change job classifications.
4. Enforces Federal, State and Baking Industries Health and Safety regulations.
5. Holds weekly floor safety meetings, as well as monthly safety meetings with all employees.
6. Promotes safety in the work area by understanding and complying with safety procedures and reporting all accidents in a timely manner.
7. Directs employees in his or her area with respect and courtesy.
8. Help to maintain administrative records on food safety personnel, such as absenteeism, training, safety, daily cleaning documentation, etc.
9. Help maintain appropriate pest control, and keep records on all activities of pest control.
10. Help carry out food safety inspection programs to ensure that Kings Hawaiian standards are met.
11. Complies with and enforces King’s safety policies and positively promotes safety in all areas.
12. Directs employees to work safely and takes corrective action immediately if an employee is being unsafe.
13. Reports unsafe behaviors of employees to the Food Safety Manager immediately. Documents the communication of correcting employee behaviors.
14. Understand and complies with all general and specific safe job procedures & policies that apply to your job and your staff.
15. Reports harassment or other behaviors that may cause a hostile work environment.
16. Executes the Food Safety Managers work instructions.
17. Promotes our company values of “Dignity, Excellence, and Telling it like it is in a way that can be heard” through your actions and by educating the staff about our values.
18. Communicates with other Supervisors and lead persons to coordinate activities between departments.
19. Performs the activities of workers supervised.
20. Trains new employees or employees who change job classifications.
21. Plans and carries out job assignments without creating hazards to yourself and other employees.
22. Reports all accidents to the Supervisor and obtain first aid for all injuries no matter how minor.
23. Provides control at the scene of the accident.
24. Assists during an emergency or natural disaster to maintain order and security of plant personnel.
25. Accounts for all of his or her department personnel during an evacuation. Attends weekly operations and safety meetings.
26. Reviews weekly Quality Assurance Facilities audits, and develops and implements corrective action.
27. Defines and updates job descriptions for direct reports.
28. Meets regularly with direct reports to set goals and monitor progress toward goals
29. Gives ongoing feedback to direct reports on skills and abilities.
32. Assists direct reports in defining career goals and seeking opportunities
33. Delivers or provides for training and resources required for direct reports to perform their roles.
34. Solicits feedback from direct reports on management style and techniques.
35. Ensures that policies, procedures and systems are in place to ensure continuous operations, proactive maintenance and timely problem resolution.
36. Enforces utilization/adherence to policies, procedures and systems
37. Maintains constant awareness of facilities and equipment hazards and proactively manages risk.
38. Manages all aspects of regulatory compliance including knowledge of standards, documents, audits, etc.
39. Promotes safety in the work area by understanding and complying with safety procedures and reporting all accidents in a timely manner. Ensures that food safety personnel comply with all company policies, and enforces the safety program.
40. Complies with Federal, State, City and A.I.B. Health and Safety Standards, including OSHA (State and/or Federal) and Hazardous Material regulation, in keeping with the work process and chemical inventory by location.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This individual must be safety conscience. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• High school diploma or GED equivalent.
• Minimum five years of supervisory and bakery environment experience is desired.
• Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
• Basic skill in Microsoft Suite.
• Key Leadership Competencies in addition to Ethics / Values and Integrity / Trust, (Action Oriented, Directing Others, Priority Setting, Decision Quality, Organizing, Process Management).
• Knowledge of cleaning chemicals.
• Knowledge of HACCP program.
• Experience in pest control is helpful.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals written in English. Ability to write routine reports and correspond in English. Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees. Spanish comprehension is a plus.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid California Driver’s License required.
Will maintain CPR and AED certification (Company will provide periodic recertification training).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Duties may require use of equipment in machine shop, small portable equipment and manual tools. Duties may require occasional operation of a motor vehicle or travel to another state on behalf of the company.
This position is scheduled to work on a shift basis. May also be scheduled to work all shifts. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually high.
We participate in E-Verify. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE MFDV.