Robert Taira founded King’s Hawaiian in Hilo Hawaii 64 years ago and, after capturing the lion’s share of the bakery business on the big island, moved the business to Honolulu in the 60’s. There, King’s Hawaiian became not only the largest bakery business and a successful restaurant, but also the largest customer in Hawaii of the US Postal Service due to the huge mail order business from stateside consumers who craved the Original Sweet Bread. To realize the next vision in his plan, Robert moved the business to Torrance, CA in the early 70’s where it resides today with two restaurants and two bakery plants including one of the most modern in the industry. King’s Hawaiian is continuing to grow and built a brand new bakery facility near Atlanta GA that went live in October 2011.
The company, which is still 100% family owned, is now led by Robert’s son Mark who serves as CEO and continues the family’s long time commitment to irresistible quality and behavioral values that make King’s Hawaiian a great place to work.
Mission Statement: We deliver irresistible Hawaiian foods and Aloha Spirit that families love everywhere everyday.
Core Values: Excellence / Dignity / Telling it like it is, in a way that can be heard
Operates mixing equipment, ingredient scaling equipment, and conducts the loading of ingredients into hoppers and bins. Also handles re-work dough, scaling the hand add ingredients, adding the hand adds to the blender, and cleaning the mixing area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Attends to numerically controlled equipment that automatically mixes fats, water, and mixture of dry ingredients to make dough used in production of bread and rolls.
2. Pushes buttons to activate control panel and observes lights and dials to verify that panel and equipment is functioning. Inspects sections of mixing equipment, such as mixing tools, drum of mixer, and feed hopper to verify that equipment is clean.
3. Transports butter to the cooler using FIFO.
4. Loads butter into the fat feeders or Mixer.
5. Records mixing information, i.e. lot codes, amounts, start times, dough temps, mixer speeds on mixing sheet.
6. Monitors dough coming out of mixer making sure it meets desired specifications.
7. Feels dough on conveyor to detect defects, such as excessively dry, moist, or lumpy dough.
8. Notifies Supervisor of dough not meeting mixing standards and of equipment malfunctions for the mixing equipment and scaling equipment.
9. Maintains log sheets as necessary that are required for Quality Assurance.
10. Transports rework dough to the mixing area.
11. Adds rework dough to the mixers at the appropriate rate.
12. Scales hand add ingredients into buckets. Adds the hand add ingredients to the blender when needed.
13. Maintains work area in clean and sanitary condition by sweeping floor and wiping down equipment.
14. Assists in training of new employees or employees who change job classifications.
15. Maintain a high level of sanitation and GMP’s.
16. Complete tasks and projects as required by the company.
17. Promotes safety in the work area by understanding and complying with safety procedures and reporting all accidents in a timely manner.
18. Promotes our company values of “Dignity, Excellence, and Telling it like it is in a way that can be heard” through your actions and by educating the staff about our values.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This individual must be Safety conscience. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• High school diploma or GED equivalent.
• One to three years of bakery production experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals written in English. Ability to write routine quality assurance reports and correspondence in English.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Duties may require use of equipment in machine shop, small portable equipment and manual tools. Duties may require occasional operation of a motor vehicle or travel to another state on behalf of the company.
This position is scheduled to work on a shift basis. May also be scheduled to work all shifts. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually high.
We participate in E-Verify. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE MFDV.