The Research Chef position within the Hawaiian Foods process is responsible for producing irresistible products with Aloha. This individual will work collaboratively with suppliers, co-packers, and chefs to develop new foods with incredible taste and a uniquely Hawaiian WOW factor! The ideal person for this position will be a combination of a food scientist and a chef, with a strong understanding of our business and the industry. Most importantly, this person will be a foodie, who loves to try new foods from different cultures, and will refuse to settle for mediocre products. This person must have the ability to articulate what foods have irresistible taste and why they will appeal to our consumers. This position will report to the Leader, Hawaiian Foods and have a close working relationship with the CEO and marketing function.
- Dedicated to developing consumer insight driven recipes by combining customer/segment knowledge with culinary experience.
- Work closely with marketing teams to understand product concepts and develop recipes, prototypes, and finished products from them.
- Provide support as a culinary consultant, provide insight through the development process, demonstrate an understanding of culinary trends.
- Articulate ideas to various audiences in a clear and concise manner and must possess skills to understand and communicate appeal of new product creations.
- Maintain and develop solid working relationships with Hawaiian culinary institutes, partner chefs, suppliers, and co-manufacturers.
- Develop and document culinary prototypes that meet project deliverables, and/or contribute to the creation and execution of a stronger platform strategy.
- Provide guidance and leadership to Food Science team to ensure final product stays true to the culinary concept.
- Travel to suppliers, co-manufactuers, culinary institutes, competions, etc. to enable recipe development and revisions.
- Develop and prepare prototypes/recipes and presentations for strategic internal meetings.
- Thorough knowledge of food preparation and presentation
- Development and preparation of bench-top prototypes
- Knowledge of current culinary trends
- Evaluation of prototypes using sensory, physical, and/or analytical method
Expected outcomes for reviews:
- Successfully create new recipes based on concepts through the Hawaiian Foods development process
- Develop productive relationships with recipe creators to fill new product pipeline
- Effectively creates and present new concepts to the evaluation team to support development
- Culinary Arts Degree with 3+ years related food service, manufacturing and/or volume cooking experience.
- Must have experience with Asian cuisine. Hawaiian cuisine is preferred.
- Have the ability to work in a fast-paced startup environment - skilled at planning, organizing, prioritizing, and executing simultaneous projects and activities
- Demonstrated project management capabilities
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Exposure to a range of food product forms and processes.