Based in Torrance, California, King’s Hawaiian Retail, Inc. is a family operated retail bakery and restaurant operation. All of our retail operations are currently located in the South Bay (Torrance). King’s Hawaiian has been in business since 1950 and has a rich tradition of successful family ownership, a commitment to remain family owned, and a culture built on the “aloha spirit”.
The company is strongly committed to the clear mission to “deliver irresistible Hawaiian foods and Aloha Spirit that families love everywhere every day” and our vision is for the King’s Hawaiian brand to be “the global leader in the Hawaiian Food Category”. Our culture is built on the following core behavioral values: Excellence; Dignity; Telling it like it is in a way that can be heard”.
Reporting to the Manager of Retail Operations, the General Manager is the leadership role at King’s Hawaiian Bakery and Restaurant, responsible for the overall management and coordination of restaurant and bakery operations and supervision of all managers and supervisors, with an emphasis on providing excellent guest service distinguished by Aloha behaviors and irresistible Hawaiian baked goods and food. This role participates in the development and execution of the King’s Hawaiian Retail strategic plan and manages systems, processes, and best practices that drive organizational efficiencies and effectiveness in the delivery of quality food and service standards. The General Manager models Aloha Spirit at all times as evidenced by having meaningful interactions, working well with others, developing sustainable relationships, taking responsibility for own commitments and behaviors, and creating an environment where employees are empowered to create an Aloha Experience for guests and coworkers.
Planning – 25%
- Participates in the King’s Hawaiian Retail strategic, operational, and capital planning processes.
- Builds the annual operating and capital plans and budgets for King’s Hawaiian Bakery and Restaurant.
- Develops plan and timeline for capital expenses and costs.
- Develops best practices for business standards.
- Plans the implementation of new systems and processes.
- Participates in developing and implementing the Marketing Plan and continuously builds brand image.
- Develops business and sales opportunities.
- Evaluates staff and creates a pipeline for future staffing needs through developmental activities.
- Meets with peers within and outside the organization to benchmark best practices to define goals and expectations.
- Maintains awareness of current industry trends as input to planning.
Supervision – 20%
- Provides leadership to all departments in the building.
- Actively recruits and maintains proper management team and staffing to meet business needs and labor objectives.
- Meets regularly with direct reports to share vision, objectives and expectations, evaluate operating plan, provide feedback on individual and team assigned tasks and goals, and to deliver status updates.
- Inspects and follows up on assigned tasks and goals to ensure accuracy and timeliness.
- Holds management team accountable to budgets and financial goals.
- Gives timely and accurate evaluations to direct reports.
- Delivers or provides training and resources required for direct reports to perform their roles.
- Trains, coaches, and develops direct reports to ensure they are consistently providing Aloha service standards.
- Demonstrates hands on approach ensuring product quality and Aloha service consistently meet company standards.
Operations – 25%
- Manages operations with full knowledge and use of systems, processes, audits, and controls; eliminates unwanted changes.
- Develops innovative systems and processes for maximization of resources and consistent delivery of quality goods and services.
- Evaluates, recommends, and implements new ingredients, processes, systems, and equipment to drive operational efficiencies, improved quality and/or safety.
- Ensures adherence to all implemented systems and processes.
- Meets or exceeds all government health and safety requirements.
- Reviews and approves all maintenance to be performed on building and equipment.
Financial – 15%
- Manages financial opportunities daily including labor, cost of goods, utilities, supplies, and R&M to ensure financial results meet or exceed budgeted goals.
- Maintains accountability to budgets and assigned financial goals; develops corrective action plan with Manager of Retail Operations to address any negative variances.
Coordination and Communication – 15%
- Provides relief management for managers/supervisors not present in order to resolve any problem arising in the building.
- Brainstorms with other locations and collaborates on cross-departmental projects.
- Coordinates resources across the company.
- Collaborates with Bakery Manager and Special Projects Manager to assess current work structure for holidays and special projects; identifies and recommends changes to develop a more efficient model.
- Utilizes Support Services (IT, HR, Finance, and Accounting) to create effectiveness and efficiencies between location and home office.
Health and Safety – Employees are responsible for following and promoting these activities at all times:
- Follows all sanitation guidelines as prescribed by the health department.
- Cooperates on all matters relating to safety and health in the work area and positively promotes safety in operations.
- Understands and complies with all general and specific safe job procedures that apply to this job including: using knives safely, wearing slip resistant shoes, utilizing proper lifting techniques, and not taking shortcuts.
- Plans and carries out job assignments without creating hazards to oneself and other employees.
- Reports all unsafe conditions or equipment immediately.
- Immediately reports all accidents to the General Manager and obtains first aid for all injuries.
The responsibilities associated with this job will change from time to time in accordance with the Company’s business needs. More specifically, the incumbent may be required to perform additional and/or different responsibilities from those set forth above.
- Bachelors degree required.
- 5 - 7 years restaurant management experience with at least 3 years general management experience.
- Must have experience leading teams with a focus on service and labor controls.
- Ability to develop food and service quality and consistency.
- Extensive knowledge of cost of goods, labor, and operating costs analysis with ability to develop corrective action plans.
- Experience with back of house P.O.S. and timekeeping systems.
- Track record of ensuring safe food handling and sanitation practices.
- Moderate to proficient Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) applications ability.
- Working knowledge of Hawaiian/Asian cuisines preferred.
- Some bakery experience or exposure preferred.
- Catering and special events exposure preferred.
Note: This Position Description indicates the critical features of the role as they are presently envisioned. They are subject to change at any time due to business conditions or other reasons. The incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required