As Director, Design for Pearl Izumi, you'll lead a talented design team to create product that combines aesthetic appeal with performance innovation. You'll collaborate with the VP of Product and your fellow Directors to set strategic direction and establish a clear design vision for the brand including performance and lifestyle, within both apparel and footwear. Understanding the latest trends in performance apparel, street wear, sportswear and consumer insights will be critical in the success of this role. You'll understand the importance of Pearl Izumi brand values and the relationship between different product categories within the brand including lifestyle and performance product.
The Director, Design is responsible for aligning and instituting aesthetic and technical design positioning, direction, and execution for all segments of Pearl Izumi globally, aligned with the brand, consumer needs and business priorities. In addition, you'll influence key strategic (internal and external) partners to understand the importance of exceptional design.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Apparel Design and Production or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- 10 + years of experience in apparel design, industrial design, innovation and strategy. Experience in the cycling/outdoor apparel and/or footwear industry preferred.
- 5+ years of demonstrated leadership and people management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, streamline processes, foster cohesion and provide motivation and inspiration among designers.
- Strong fashion sense with the ability to interpret trends in the outdoor, cycling, and fashion industries.
- Must be 100% proficient in design programs such as, Adobe Illustrator, In-Design, Photoshop with the use of a Macintosh and Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to design on a 3D model. Strong knowledge in garment techniques, material development, and production life cycle.
- Proven understanding of cost engineering.
- Engineering experience with lycra or garments made fit to a body in motion preferred.
- Experience working with multiple high-end materials.
- Performs detail design/product modeling/product development information.
- Honest, dependable team player with strong communication skills and the ability to work under extremely tight deadlines. Full understanding of sublimation design and execution process.
- PLM experience desired.
- Overseas factory experience preferred.
- International travel is required.
- Lead the design direction for the brand across categories, and ensure collaboration and effective/consistent execution.
- Responsible for leading the aesthetic and garment engineering direction.
- Responsible for managing multi-level (or Overlapping/multi-seasonal) timelines.
- Provide Designers with the training, tools, and spaces to be creative while executing to the brand vision.
- Provide direction for Design Team members with regard to design, development, and production.
- Guidance and oversight of the Custom Graphic design team.
- Oversee Advanced Development and Custom group integration into the Design process and product ranges.
- Establish standardized procedures, processes, templates, and requirements for each stage of product creation: research and planning, design, and prototyping.
- Lead, coach, develop, and manage direct reports. Set standards for expectations and execution. Create individual development plans and accountability process.
- Research globally to be inspired and remain relevant.
- Work closely with merchandising team to better understand what customers are purchasing so that designs remain current and relevant while meeting the needs of the customer.
- Responsible for guiding the graphic direction for all in-line projects.
- Lead internal and external designer(s) for assigned category(s) in creating new products while facilitating the design and development process for apparel projects including in-line, SMU’s (Special Make-up) and advanced projects.
- Lead the integration of Pattern/Prototype from concept inception into the design process.
- Continuously identify opportunities of improvement in the Design process.
- Maintain departmental relationships within Pearl Izumi to ensure that all information required from Design is provided in a timely manner.
- Actively research design industry related journals, seminars, and trade shows to be informed of emerging trends, concepts, ideation, technologies, materials and construction methods, etc.
- Continually lead in integrating product concept, design, evolution, storytelling, technology, consumer experience, etc. into a larger communication process and vision in the support of other departments.
- Responsible for leading, defining, cohesively communicating, and presenting seasonal Design Language and Trend reporting with design team members.
- Receive seasonal design briefs from PLMs and help to clarify outstanding questions from design team.
- Define allocation of Briefed Styles to be designed seasonally.
- Responsible for outlining and leading concept meetings and Design Reviews.
- Ensure all new designs are commercially viable in regards to prototyping and construction, bulk production, and cost.
Key Organizational Competencies:
A+ Service Focus – Focuses one’s efforts on discovering, meeting and exceeding customer needs and expectations. Develops and grows a relationship for future business and ultimately facilitate the customer decision-making process.
Drive For Results – Accurately assesses critical issues and concentrates work efforts on them to produce valued results.
Collaborative – Interacts with others in a constructive, positive and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or coworkers in achieving goals and completing assignments.
Adaptable – Effectively handles changing environments within the organization; maintaining effectiveness when dealing with multiple and conflicting priorities across different cultural settings, or during times of great adversity.
Aptitude/Business Acumen – Assimilates, synthesizes, interprets, and communicates significant business and economic information and impacts.
Authenticity/Innovation – Identifies key trends opportunities, and organizational capabilities that would bring competitive advantage to the organization. Sees trends before others and integrates concepts in a unique way.
Problem Solving – Anticipates future consequences and trends accurately and has broad Displays the ability to openly receive feedback and criticism in a positive manner. Learns from mistakes and asks for others insight in times of need, rather than turning defensive. Effective in using active listening skills when engaging in conversation.
Open/Receptive – Energizes people around specific organizational initiatives, goals and visions. Ensures others hear, understand and accept a common organizational vision by guiding, translating and influencing what the vision means for everyone involved.
Reliable – Maintains personal productivity and effectiveness in the midst of change, ambiguity, or stress.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualification associated with the job. The successful candidate will be expected to perform all functions from administrative processing to leading change initiatives.