University Emergency Medicine Foundation (UEMF) is the academic emergency medicine physician practice plan of the Department of Emergency Medicine at the Alpert Medical School of Brown University. UEMF provides emergency department staffing for Rhode Island Hospital, the only Level I trauma center in this region; Hasbro Children’s Hospital, Rhode Island’s only children’s specialty hospital; The Miriam Hospital, a leading community teaching hospital and Newport Hospital, a community Magnet Hospital. UEMF member physicians and providers treat over 250,000 patients per year at our 4 clinical sites, drawing patients from Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut. As a non-profit foundation, UEMF is committed to its mission and vision of academic and research support. UEMF offers an excellent benefits package, including 85-90% employer-paid medical and dental, vision, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability, paid time off, paid holidays and generous 401(k) retirement plan. UEMF is looking for a full-time, 40 hour per week Financial Analyst who will be responsible for managing the monthly forecast and reporting processes. The Financial Analyst will be a subject matter expert in the financial operations of the Foundation. The Financial Analyst will be a senior member of the Finance team who uses their knowledge and skillset to help drive financial planning and decision-making throughout UEMF.
The Financial Analyst will report to the Director of Finance and will be based in Providence. Other responsibilities include:
- Perform monthly forecasting activities. Update planning system with changes based on changes in the operating and financial plan. Analyze and interpret financial results and forecasts. Review material variances with department heads. Prepare commentary providing accurate and timely information on progress.
- Assist with the budgeting process. Work with assigned groups to compile and prepare various scenarios and analysis.
- Update various financial and operational reports, such as the monthly Board package, departmental operating reports, Foundation financial statements, etc.
- Create financial and operational analysis for new initiatives.
- May work directly with senior management on specialized financial analyses and projects.
- Independently develop new reports and revisions/enhancements to existing reports to improve transparency and understanding of financial information by a variety of consumers including administration, physician leadership, and rank and file employees as needed.
- Maintain expense and labor allocation files. Analyze for reasonableness.
- Help maintain contracts library. Ensure terms are accurately reflected in the budget/forecast.
- Work on projects, as assigned, both individually and as part of a team.
- Ad hoc analysis and other duties as required.
- Prepares and records asset, liability, revenue, and expenses into the accounting system ensuring proper application of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Reconcile account balances and provide analysis and commentary as needed.
- Prepare journal entries and accruals with appropriate backup and documentation.
- Maintain monthly contract reconciliation.
- Help ensure proper accounting treatment.
- Research accounting issues as needed.
- Prepare feedback, analysis and recommendations for complex transitions.
- Tests financial data for accuracy and integrity.
- Assist year-end financial review and 990 tax return with third party accounting firm,
- Prepare material for financial review and tax return(s) and provide support for footnotes and disclosures.
- Resolve and escalate, as needed, issues that may come up during review.
- Ad hoc work and other projects as required.
The qualifications for this position are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business or Healthcare Administration.
- Three to five years of prior experience performing financial analysis and/or accounting transactions.
- Strong Excel skills (pivot tables, Vlookups, etc.).
- Experience with general ledger and financial planning & reporting applications. Sage/Peachtree and Adaptive Insights are the current systems in place.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work individually and in a team.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Able to communicate financial and accounting concepts.
- Must submit a background release form and demonstrate proof of being free from disqualifying information.
- Must have a driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle, as some transportation may be required.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
Successful candidate must submit to a background release form, demonstrate proof of being free from disqualifying information and must possess a driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle as some transportation may be required.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves and others. UEMF is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to provide a workplace free from harassment. For more information about UEMF, please visit our website at www.uemf.org.