University Emergency Medicine Foundation (UEMF) is the academic emergency medicine physician practice plan of the Department of Emergency Medicine at the Alpert Medical School of Brown University. As a non-profit foundation, UEMF is committed to its mission and vision of academic and research support.
UEMF provides emergency department staffing for Rhode Island Hospital, the only Level I trauma center in this region; Hasbro Children’s Hospital, Rhode Island’s only children’s specialty hospital; The Miriam Hospital, a leading community teaching hospital and Newport Hospital, a community Magnet Hospital.
UEMF offers an excellent benefits package, including 85-90% employer-paid medical and dental, vision, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability, paid time off, paid holidays and generous 401(k) retirement plan.
The Payroll Supervisor will be responsible for managing the payroll process and administering the employee retirement program. This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position. Responsibilities include:
- Review and authorize weekly, semi-weekly and monthly payrolls; conduct 941 reconciliation; prepare leaves of absence calculations and letters; work with Human Resources regarding new hires, terminations and benefit changes.
- Develop and maintain documentation of all payroll controls and procedures and coordinate and manage the production of all payroll audit deliverables and related systems.
- Implement control processes as required to ensure consistent and robust compliance with all required accounting policies and controls.
- Administer the employee retirement program in compliance with 401(k) plan provisions including calculating the supplemental pension monthly, tracking monthly entry into the plan, employee rollovers and maintaining the Fidelity PSW website.
- Work with TPA and auditor on yearly 5500 filings, nondiscrimination testing, plan audits and process corrections from 5500 and audit testing.
- Conduct and participate in the annual retirement audit.
- Distribute required plan notices and documentation (Summary Annual Reports, fee disclosures, QDIA, etc.) per relevant IRS/ERISA guidelines.
- Ensure loan repayments are compliant with amortization schedules and process coordination of residual payments with the Payroll and Finance departments.
- Research discrepancies between employee, payroll and pension benefit record-keeper to ensure the accuracy of records and maximize eligible payments.
- Project manage various retirement plan projects and initiatives.
The required qualifications for the position are:
- Minimum 7 to 10 years of payroll experience in a complex, full cycle pay environment administering all aspects of payroll activities is required.
- Minimum of 5+ years as a manager, supervisor or payroll supervisor is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is preferred. In lieu of a degree, a minimum of 7-10 years related experience with computerized accounting and payroll systems and reporting is required.
- Expert knowledge of payroll, wage and hour, tax laws and regulations; working knowledge of ERISA, IRS and DOL regulations.
- Experience with third party payroll systems (ADP and Paychex preferred) with demonstrated experience in designing and maintaining electronic payroll systems with time & attendance functionality.
- Experience with retirement plan recordkeeping and compliance systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting principles and thorough knowledge of internal controls.
- Strong analytical skills, project management skills, report preparation and attention to detail required.
- Excellent written and oral communications, problem solving, time management and conflict resolution skills.
- Capable of establishing effective relationships with clients, bankers, brokers and attorneys is essential.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, primarily Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Highly organized with ability to work in fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience in healthcare setting is strongly desired with demonstrated knowledge of complex pay structures.
Successful candidate must submit to a background release form, demonstrate proof of being free from disqualifying information and must possess a driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle as some transportation may be required.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves and others. UEMF is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to provide a workplace free from harassment. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship. For more information about UEMF, please visit our website at www.uemf.org.