We’re ArenaNet—we’ve created a studio that makes online worlds infused with innovation, hand-crafted excellence, and creative passion. We're not the only ones who share this passion; gamers made Guild Wars 2 the fastest selling MMO game in the West with more than 3 million copies sold in its first 9 months, and players and press have consistently called it one of the best MMOs of all time.
As a game developer that constantly strives to innovate, our studio is built on a foundation of excellence with a focus on community. We're unlocking the true potential of online role-playing with game-changing titles like Guild Wars 2. The status quo isn’t good enough for the dedicated worldwide community of GW2 players, which is why we question industry conventions and demand more from ourselves as developers.
We are seeking passionate and experienced Gameplay Programmers to join our quest to create revolutionary online gaming experiences. Bring your strength to our cause, inspire awe in those around you, collaborate with like-minded team members and make great games! This individual will continually contribute to the game and to the success of the development team. We are looking for someone with passion for solving difficult technical problems and working with teammates to bring these solutions to life.
• Implement vertical solutions including data persistence, game server code, message protocol, client code, and user interface with attention to product quality, scalability, performance, and security.
• Collaborate in autonomous, cross discipline feature teams to successfully meet team goals.
• Provide ongoing support, improvement, and debugging for existing features.
• Review/buddy check code from other engineers.
• Understand MMO design and technical challenges.
• Profile and make appropriate game system optimizations for speed, memory, or bandwidth.
• Evaluate effectiveness of designer and artist workflows and make game system or tool improvements accordingly.
• Collaborate with production group and relevant stakeholders to drive a feature through the entire feature creation planning, development, and review process.
• Test and maintain code, ensuring that it is clean, easy to use, free of bugs, and reliable in the game.
• Anticipate, identify and articulate technical and developmental risks and obstacles, and generate solutions.
• Program tools and utilities to support work on projects as required.
• Work with proprietary existing software technology, and build new technology, to fulfill the project's technical requirements.
• Estimate programming tasks and inform stakeholders as estimates change.
• Focus on making the best possible game, which requires adaptation to changing requirements.
• Participate in our rotating “on call” schedule with other programmers to resolve the kind of complicated live service issues that require a programmer to resolve.
• Identify recurring or systemic issues affecting our live service or development process and provide long term solutions.
• Adhere to coding standards and make daily decisions that support the studio’s technical roadmap.
• Professional C++ experience.
• 4+ years game development experience.
• Excellent mathematical skills including linear algebra.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
• Prior ownership of large systems.
• Avid gamer and passion for making amazing games.
• Ability to rapidly jump into new code bases.
• Strong understanding of game systems engineering and passion for high quality code.
• Ability to identify long term technical goals and break them down into small, iterative steps.
• Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate with teammates is essential.
• Self-motivated and able to work with minimal direct supervision.
• Must be able to manage direction and prioritize aspects of a project while understanding overall objectives.
• The flexibility and drive to meet long term deadlines while still taking care of unexpected high priority issues as they come up.
• Ability to develop and maintain software to aid in the testing of new systems.
• Superior problem-solving and analytical skills.
This is a full time on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work.