Since its founding in 1889, Shasta Beverages, Inc. has been a beverage industry pioneer and family-trusted staple in America, with over 30 unique, innovative and distinctive soft drink flavors. Shasta has a flavor for everyone – ranging from the new California Dreamin’ and Fiesta Punch to such familiar favorites as Crème Soda and Root Beer. For more information, please visit www.shastapop.com or Shasta Soda on Facebook and Twitter.
Shasta is part of the National Beverage Corp. family of iconic brands.
National Beverage Corp.
As the fourth largest branded soft-drink company in the U.S., National Beverage proudly refreshes America. Innovation is the essential ingredient in the flavorful variety of beverages we lovingly invent and create – including such iconic favorites as Shasta® and Faygo® soft drinks, Everfresh juices®, LaCroix® sparkling waters and Rip It® energy drinks.
Headquartered in Ft. Lauderdale, National Beverage has multiple locations throughout the nation. National Beverage . . . the “one-stop beverage shop”, trades as FIZZ on the NASDAQ.
Careers at National Beverage
We are looking for individuals of noble character to join our team. Please contact us if you are dedicated, reliable, compassionate and talented . . . and want to discover what it means to work in an environment of creativity, collaboration and support.
Fun, Flavor and Vitality . . . the National Beverage Way!
The Flavor Technologist develops the manufacturing processes and recipes of food and drink products and works on existing and newly discovered ingredients and technologies to invent new recipes and concepts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct experiments and produce sample products, as well as designs the processes for making products with a consistent flavor, color and texture in large quantities.
- Modifies the flavor concentrates of existing products to achieve consistent flavor profile of the finished product
- Conducts internal sensory evaluations to determine quality of flavors, both new and existing.
- Collaborates with Marketing to develop new flavors that match targeted consumer preferences for taste, nutrition, and refreshment.
- Conducts line trials within the manufacturing facilities to ensure accuracy of process and quality of flavor.
- Evaluates raw materials and qualifies new suppliers for use in existing flavor concentrates including any necessary changes to maintain consistent year-to-year flavor targets.
- Answers compliance-related questions regarding new and reformulated product concepts.
- Possesses working knowledge of quality control testing methods and Good Manufacturing Practices to drive development and improvement projects to successfully integrate new products into existing soft drink manufacturing systems.
- Ability to collect, analyze and summarize process quality information and trends.
- Expert sensory ability to detect flavor nuances
- Maintains extensive knowledge of flavor ingredients including the key attributes of flavor subcomponents and their contributions to a flavor profile
- Understands carbonated soft drink chemistry and the impact of the manufacturing process and packaging on flavor stability and consumer satisfaction.
- Computer literacy required with proficiency in Microsoft Office products including Excel and Word.
- Typically faces situations that have a variety of interpretations and require careful evaluation.
- Typically solves problems by considering courses of action within the framework of management’s goals and standards.
- Ability to travel to any location where the Company operates and expand territory as business needs dictate.
- Ability to attend various meetings as requested with minimal advanced notice.
- Communicates cross functionally and provides training regarding current and emerging food labeling issues and opportunities and related impact on products and product technology.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common information, reports and other documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or company representatives. Ability to effectively present information to management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand for long periods of time, sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers, to handle, or feel, sit for long periods of time, stand frequently, bend, squat, reach and turn to access files and office equipment. Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Field positions will be exposed to various unfamiliar conditions where Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must be worn and which may include, but are not limited to: manufacturing and warehouse plants, and other venues as directed by supervisor. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but increases significantly in warehouse and manufacturing plants.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Nutrition, Chemistry or appropriate equivalent from an accredited university
- Minimum of seven years’ work experience, preferably in the carbonated soft drink industry. Must have beverage industry experience
- Experience in formulating and manufacturing of carbonated soft drinks (CSD) and/or thermal processed shelf stable drinks
- Solid working knowledge of formulations and compliance requirements associated with “Natural”, Non-GMO, Gluten-free, and “Organic” label claims
- Understands preservative systems and impact of nutrient-containing ingredients on shelf stability of carbonated and non-carbonated beverages
- Must be able to taste and consume all kinds of drinks and flavors, including caffeine
- Knowledge of FDA and NSDA labeling requirements
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English
- Must demonstrate superior analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work load
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft business applications and various reporting software
- Must be 18 years or older
- Pass the drug test and physical exam
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible Full Time schedule that may include weekends and holidays
- Must be able to provide own transportation to various locations as required by duties