Position : Operations Manager
Mandate : To competently* and professionally* direct and coordinate the Programming, G&A, Promotions, and Engineering Department while staying aligned with the relevant overall Company's strategic direction, philosophies and goals.
- Staff Management
- Professional Development
Objectives (by Responsibility):
- Discuss plans with marketing personnel to promote sales of programs and time periods to advertisers and their agencies.
- Plan long and short-term programming and promotional strategies.
- Recommend departmental budgetary needs.
- Conduct strategic research to gain high Arbitron ratings and determine if changes need to be made with personnel or format based on interpretation of Arbitron ratings.
- Schedule music when needed and perform on-air as needed.
- To ensure all reporting staff has the necessary skills to perform their assigned Job Responsibilities at the highest level of professionalism (consistently appropriate) and competence (effective and efficient) on an ongoing basis.
- To maintain high performance and effectively deal with identified non-performance in a timely manner (within 48 hours).
- To ensure and support all full time direct reporting staff in doing their own Performance Appraisals every six months.
- To recruit and train new staff when and where required.
- To ensure that appropriate Self-Management is exercised at all times and as it applies to the overall function. Specifically as it applies to:
- Overall Professionalism
- Dress code (should be consistent with your job function, includes appropriate grooming )
- Confidentiality (at all times)
- Managing Emotions ( Emotional Maturity and control in all situations)
- Taking Initiative (may include taking risks)
- Being self-directed
- Accepting responsibility
- Being accountable
- Accepting and growing with others Critique
- Being objective (issue relevant)
- Building and maintaining workable relationships
- Suspending judgment (when relevant)
- Not discriminating
- Being accepting rather than judgmental (when appropriate)
- Allowing others their feelings
- Extending common courtesies
- Behaving out of a sense of urgency (when appropriate)
- Striving for Balance
- Appropriately delegating
- Evolving self-awareness
- Problem Solving and Decision Making (within scope of the function)
- Observe activities to ensure compliance with FCC regulations including Emergency Broadcast Service and transmitter power.
- Confer with General Manager to discuss station policy and administrative procedures.
- Direct Engineering Department to accomplish station needs and goals.
- Perform special projects under the direction of the General Manager.
- To participate in relevant skill building workshops as it applies to the ongoing development of the function.
- To stay current with all relevant industry information as it applies to the overall job responsibility.
- To drive your own Performance Appraisal every six months.
*Competence is defined as using “effectiveness and efficiency” in equal measure at all times.
*Professionalism is described as being consistently appropriate in all situations and at all times.