Music Director/Programming Assistant/On-Air Talent
To competently* and professionally* optimize all music elements; assist with administration duties in the Programming Department. To competently* and professionally* provide continuity and surveillance information in a professional, knowledgeable and entertaining way and will be active in pre-show strategy and execution while staying within the negotiated job responsibilities at all times.
The ideal candidate will have:
- High School Diploma
- Management experience is a plus
- Impressive Social Media footprint
- Customer Liaison
- Professional Development
OBJECTIVES (by Responsibility):
- Listen to, develop and maintain informed opinion on music supplied to the radio station on an ongoing basis.
- Make decisions as to appropriateness of music for airplay on an on-going basis.
- Maintain music library on a weekly basis.
- Liaison with external music sources and suppliers as required on a daily basis.
- Assist Operations Manager/Program Director in development and maintenance of all clocks, rotations, category compositions, rules etc. as they relate to music scheduling.
- Schedule and troubleshoot daily music logs.
- Maintain/update database and music software as required.
- Generate and distribute music reports as required.
- Meet with music reps, promotion people from record labels and or mangers on music day
- Speak with with music reps, promotion people from record labels and or mangers on music call days
- Attend and coordinate mix show meeting to insure the best music is placed on the mix show list
- Generate and distribute of the weekly mix show list
- Generate and distribute weekly request sheet
- Oversee production elements for the station
- Recommend programming, promotions and marketing opportunities
- Serve as the programming/sales liaison
- Monitor stations to ensure proper jock formatics, commercials and promos
- Secure national talent to for station events
- Schedule station music daily via Selector
- Write station promos and imaging
- Work closely with Sales and Promotions Department to create non-traditional revenue opportunities
- Schedule on-air talent on a weekly and as-required basis.
- Coordinate with other staff members to ensure programming airs as required.
- Train appropriate staff in operation of on-air technology as required.
- Communicate daily with Operations Manager/Program Director to report and trouble-shoot on all operational discrepancies and issues of non-performance.
- Assist Program Director with market research
- Attend, assist and help coordinate major station promotions and promotions
- Assist Operations Manager/Program Director with the day to day programming operations
- To work with the station's Web Editor to ensure content and promotions are relevant to the target audience
- To assist Operations Manager/Program Director in dealing with listener complaints and suggestions on an ongoing basis.
- To respond to any and all music queries from listeners when needed.
- To appropriately represent the company when attending relevant industry and community related events on an ongoing basis.
- To ensure that appropriate Self-Management is exercised at all times, as it applies to the overall function and specifically as it relates to:
- Overall Professionalism
- Dress Code (consistent with your job function, including appropriate grooming)
- Confidentiality (at all times)
- Managing Emotions (Emotional Maturity and control in all situations)
- Taking Initiative (may include taking risks)
- Being self-directed
- Accepting responsibility
- Being accountable
- Accepting and growing with others Critiques.
- Being objective (issue relevant)
- Building and maintaining workable relationships
- Suspending judgment (when relevant)
- Not discriminating
- Being accepting rather than judgmental (when appropriate)
- Allowing others their feelings
- Extending common courtesies
- Behaving out of a sense of urgency (when appropriate)
- Striving for Balance
- Appropriately delegating
- Evolving self-awareness
- Problem Solving and Decision Making (within scope of the function)
- To investigate and participate in relevant skill building workshops as it applies to the ongoing development of the function.
- To stay current with all relevant industry information as it applies to the overall job responsibility.
- To drive my own Performance Appraisal every six months.
- Music Knowledge and Appreciation
- Public Appearances
OBJECTIVES (by Responsibility):
- To ensure that appropriate continuity is maintained at all times while on the air. This includes:
- Programming links
- Set-ups and Transitions (music identification to co-host, or any pre-taped items etc.).
- To appropriately re-enforce the radio station identity and program at all times. This includes:
- Station call letters
- Positioning statements
- Creative Hooks
- Cross Promotion
- Back sells.
- To professionally (consistently appropriate) deliver all relevant information on an ongoing basis. This includes:
- Time checks
- Temperature check
- Event Information.
Music Knowledge and Appreciation
- To competently (effectively & efficiently) display your knowledge and enthusiasm about and for the music that is played. This includes:
- In-depth knowledge of the music being played
- Understanding listener's tastes
- Staying in touch with music and all related issues (research, analysis etc.).
- To contribute and support the creation of the show on a daily basis. This includes:
- Participation in daily post-mortem and planning meeting
- Participation in daily pre-show meeting.
- To appropriately implement all assigned duties from the producer on a daily basis. This includes:
- Pre-show and live interviews
- Contribution to comedy skits
- Writing scripts
- Attending Press conferences, functions and events
- Researching background material.
- Researching stories relevant to the core audience to post on the station's web page
- To ensure that all relevant material for the show is competently prepared on a daily basis. This includes:
- Assigned promotion mentions
- Reviewing commercial logs for live tags
- Scanning daily newspaper for any relevant items
- Reviewing promo cards for possible on air use etc..
- To professionally (consistently appropriate) and competently (effectively & efficiently) appear in public when and where required on an ongoing basis. This includes:
- Participation in station remote broadcasts
- Preparation as required
Representation at charity events, community events etc.