Position: Local Sales Manager Reports To: General Sales Manager
Location: Raleigh, NC Department: Sales
FLSA: Exempt Station:
Mandate: To competently* and professionally* achieve budgeted revenue goals by establishing and fostering client and companion subsidiary relationships. Provide appropriate proactive management while staying aligned with the relevant overall Company’s strategic direction, philosophies and goals. Counsel clients, represent and sell Radio One with the intent to advance client objectives.
- Customer Liaison
- Interdepartmental Liaison
- Staff Management
- Professional Development
Objectives (by Responsibility )
- To develop, implement and monitor a comprehensive monthly, quarterly and annual Sales Plan to ensure that the station meets the negotiated annual Sales revenues on an ongoing basis.
- To regularly and when relevant consult with internal and external resources to solicit objective input as it relates to the overall planning process.
- To investigate and stay current with all relevant information as it applies to identified competitors an ongoing basis.
- Build sales by prospecting for new clients and nurture existing customer relationships.
- Utilize ideation skills to develop, present and execute integrated marketing campaigns across platforms to accomplish client return on investment:
- Live events
- Analyze research and present data relevant to achieving client return on investment.
- Build trust and subscribe to the highest levels of personal integrity.
- Must be regularly and customarily engaged at a client’s place of business.
- To effectively, deal with customer complaints and suggestions on an ongoing basis.
- To co-ordinate the appropriate allocation of relevant company resources as it applies to ongoing sales issues and concerns.
- To appropriately represent the company when attending relevant industry and community related events on an ongoing basis.
- Foster cooperation between internal departments:
- Radio One divisions
- External clients
- Ensure that effective interdepartmental communication occurs on an ongoing basis.
- Work effectively in a team environment
- To ensure that all relevant paperwork as it applies to the overall job responsibility is submitted within the negotiated and requested timelines at all times. This includes:
- All the forms required within the Performance Standards.
- All the paperwork required by the Accounting Department.
- Keeping individual client files current.
- Keeping Accounts Receivables within expected standards.
- To perform within the relevant department and interdepartmental policies and procedures on an ongoing basis.
- To ensure that all reporting staff have the necessary skills to perform their assigned Job Responsibilities at the highest level professionalism (consistently appropriate) and competence (effective and efficient) on an ongoing basis. This includes all the sub-tasks laid out in the detailed Account Executive job description.
- To maintain High Performance and effectively deal with Identified Non-Performance in a timely manner (within 48 hours).
- To ensure and support all direct reporting staff in doing their own Performance Appraisals every thirty days.
- To recruit and train new sales and sales support staff when and where required.
- To ensure that appropriate Self-Management is exercised at all times, as it applies to the overall function and specifically as it relates to:
- Overall Professionalism
- Dress code (should be consistent with your job function, including appropriate grooming)
- Confidentiality (at all times)
- Managing Emotions ( Emotional Maturity and control in all situations)
- Taking Initiative (may include taking risks)
- Being self-directed
- Accepting responsibility
- Being accountable
- Accepting and growing with others Critique
- Being objective (issue relevant)
- Building and maintaining workable relationships
- Suspending judgment (when relevant)
- Not discriminating
- Being accepting rather than judgmental (when appropriate)
- Allowing others their feelings
- Extending common courtesies
- Behaving out of a sense of urgency (when appropriate)
- Striving for Balance
- Appropriately delegating
- Evolving self-awareness
- Problem Solving and Decision Making (within scope of the function)
- To attend all relevant skill building workshops as requested; including Digital training.
- To stay current with all relevant industry information as it applies to the overall job responsibility.
- To drive your own Performance Appraisal every six months.
- To investigate and stay current with all relevant information as it applies to identified competitors and an ongoing basis.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each main responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/ or Experience:
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum 5 years media sales experience necessary; prior management experience preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Must have a valid driver's license and state mandated auto insurance. Reliable transportation and maintain an acceptable driving record.
Language Skills: Fluent in written and spoken Spanish and English. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondences. Ability to effectively and persuasively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
* Professionalism is described as being consistently appropriate in all situations and at all times.
*Competence is defined as using “effectiveness and efficiency” in equal measure at all times.