Position: Director Business & Legal Affairs Reports To: VP & General Counsel
Location: Corporate Department: Legal
FLSA: Exempt Station: N/A
Mandate: To competently* and professionally* provide legal counsel and guidance to officers and management of Urban One on legal matters.
- Legal Counsel
- Contract Agreements
- Legal Analysis and Interpretation
- Professional Development
Objectives (by Responsibility)
- Responsible for assisting Company Management and Human Resources department in the management and handling of all labor and employment related matters Company wide.
- Advise legal and business colleagues on a broad range of subjects, including trademark law and copyright law, rights clearance and fair use, traditional and digital media law, privacy and data security law, marketing and agency representation, sponsorship sales, sweepstakes and promotions law, and IT and telecom services.
- Provides legal representation, advice, and opinions in monitoring and resolving any matters that may lead to litigation.
- Prepares EEO position statements and related filings.
- Manages outside counsel to represent the company in litigation before courts and administrative tribunals.
- Drafts, reviews and approves policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable employment related laws, regulations and policies.
- Actively participates in and influences the decision-making process with appropriate clients and stakeholders.
- Educates clients and stakeholders on legal matters, policies and procedures.
- Establishes and maintains relationships, credibility and trust with clients, stakeholders, legal team members and other colleagues.
- Drafts and reviews employment, severance, and consulting agreements and a wide variety of other contracts.
- Provide transactional support for internal clients focused on digital distribution, creation of programming content, sponsorship, marketing, business development, operations, and live events.
- Draft and review venue and artist agreements, contest rules, event contracts, vendor agreements, consulting agreements, standard terms and conditions, syndication and programming agreements, licensing agreements and lease agreements.
- Draft internal company policies in consultation with Urban One management.
Legal Analysis and Interpretation
- Analyze a broad range of complex laws and regulations affecting the Company in areas of legal specialty, including but not limited to federal and state laws and regulations affecting radio and cable television.
- Assists the VP and General Counsel with administrative and legal matters, including the planning, organizing and managing of work activities assigned to staff attorneys and administrative staff.
- Provides proactive training for the legal staff.
- Oversees management of paralegals and junior lawyers.
- Assists in the development of appropriate internal policies and procedures to manage risk and improve business efficiency.
- To attend all relevant skill building workshops as requested.
- To stay current with all relevant industry information as it applies to the overall job responsibility.
- To drive your own Performance Appraisal every twelve months.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each main responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/ or Experience
Juris Doctorate degree from an accredit school; with 7-10 years or more of legal practice experience in a related area.
Ability to read, analyze and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively and persuasively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
* Professionalism is described as being consistently appropriate in all situations and at all times.
*Competence is defined as using “effectiveness and efficiency” in equal measure at all tim es