Make To Order (MTO) Manager
Louisville, CO (HQ)
Introduction to careers at PEARL iZUMi:
At PEARL iZUMi, we all play an integral role in our mission to “Unlock the Power of Inspiration and Impact” in a supportive, fast-paced and productive work environment. This is why we exist, and all team members contribute in tangible and sometimes profound ways. If you see value in “unlocking” this potential, then PEARL iZUMi could be the place for you. We are looking for passionate like-minded people who are fueled by an innate desire to work in an environment focused on team success. Whether your role is to create, to sell, or to support, careers at PEARL iZUMi give you an opportunity to make a difference.
We are also laser-focused on finding the right people who share our core values of Trust, Craft, Empathy, Impact, and Plus 1, as well as who help drive our Social Purpose. Check out our website to see how PEARL iZUMi defines and captures these critical internal values and Social Purpose. To be clear, we evaluate all candidates on their demonstrated commitment to these values.
Overview of role:
As MTO Manager, your primary goal will be to have a constant pulse on the consumer by having a deep understanding of who they are and what they want. While working in a team environment, you will bring creative and innovative thinking to drive industry-leading Make To Order product. This role directly manages the MTO business and a team of project coordinators , and thus the work is generally accomplished without direction and requires strong competence with the various tools, procedures, and programming languages used to accomplish the job.
With guidance from the VP of Product, you will manage the current and future planning of the Make to Order (MTO) category from initial concept through production. MTO consists of PEARL iZUMi’s Custom and Limited Edition Collections (LEC) businesses. This is an intermediate level position responsible for the management of our MTO business and the leadership of the principles that enhance the consumer experience.
Primary workload includes, but is not limited to, aligning product and product direction to meet the needs of the consumer. This includes ownership of assigned marketplace, execution of business plans, sales and margin accountability, calendar adherence, and cross-functional leadership. Also critical are ideating seasonal product stories and initiatives, strategizing seasonal collections, keeping abreast of new technologies, researching pertinent competitors, managing seasonal timelines, and collaborating with design, development, sales, marketing and operations throughout the process. Emphasis is placed upon bringing consumer centric, market innovative, and industry leading products and services in a profitable and fast-to-market manner. The successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation of MTO initiatives, which include collaborating with design to ensure coordination of stories; developing business plans that include breadth, depth, price-point, and distribution strategies for a specific category; reviewing sales to provide analysis for future plans; and acting as a liaison among design, production, operations, marketing, sales, and allocations.
- 3-5 years Product Management or Custom product experience and Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally. Approx. 15-20% may include some weekends and holidays.
- High attention to detail, strong organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; including ability to think and plan strategically.
- Ability to manage multiple sources of data, product seasons, and conflicting objectives (product performance vs. value/costing).
- Proactive thinking, initiative, and composure in a fast paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including strength in presenting complex topics in a public forum.
- Strong cross-cultural understanding.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Illustrator).
- Personal interest and involvement in cycling, running, and fitness is preferred.
- Responsible for managing all aspect of the MTO business, including but not limited to; product, pricing, projects, consumer, customer, business, procedures, profitability, cross functional sales, and execution. Owns the MTO business in alignment with domestic and international market position and demands, and drives category growth.
- Partner with cross-functional team members to develop key concepts, key items, and assortments to ensure that the collection is commercially viable and provides an exciting customer experience.
- Conduct sales and market research to facilitate the comparison and analysis of past and present sales, and to identify competitor landscape and market direction.
- Build and maintain intradepartmental relationships with all functional areas, and relationships with key account buyers.
- Present product information to key internal and external groups, sales and buyers in a comprehensive, clear and tactical manner. Comes armed with research, data points and preparedness on category lines. Strategically implements feedback to improve lines.
- Understand sales, margin, turns, and merchandising requirements of buyers and key accounts and can digest and analyze data from sell-through reports.
- Support and arrange presentation details including organization of the line for sales and distributor presentations, merchandising of the presentation room, supporting the team to create a clear and flowing line presentation.
- Maintain and update the CSA tool for better selling and project management.
- Daily management and maintenance of all data pertaining to MTO.
- Create initial pricing strategy that aligns with brand positioning.
- Collaborate with Operations and Sales to come up with accurate forecast by style/color.
- Responsible for category margin, working with product development team throughout the development process to accurately evaluate product features and make changes to ensure overall category margin requirements are met.
- Work with Brand and Marketing teams on layout of workbook, workbook copy, and pagination to ensure all information is accurate and tells brand story.
- Brainstorm and bring advanced technology ideas to Advanced Development team to further our product interest and market position.
- Manage seasonal samples for each line.
- Analyze product costing, category margins and product sell-in and sell-thru ratios.
- Maintain clear, timely, and effective communication with all necessary parties in reviewing collection progress and resolving issues as needed.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to Product Line Coordinator, Associate PLM (Product Line Manager), and PLM employees to ensure professional development and growth
- Bring vision to life by partnering with Go-To-Market Team to best represent product offering and the brand in account doors and elsewhere through creative and relevant story telling.
- Manage and drive the product building process to be aligned with the company’s seasonal calendar, leading the team cross functionally to ensure calendar dates are executed.
- Serve as expert on core consumer. Know how they shop, where they shop, how they wear it, and the overall competitive market landscape.
- Be active and strategic in planning current season’s assortment and identify future seasonal opportunities.
- Maintain a strong understanding of product demand, forecast., and inventory levels
- Attend consumer events and research new trends or advances in product lines to make appropriate buying and new product development decisions.
- Establish appropriate product planning, positioning and pricing strategy based on the competitive landscape (business plan).
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualification associated with the job. The successful candidate will be expected to perform all functions from administrative processing to leading change initiatives.
*Please note that candidates who provide a cover letters and/or statement speaking to alignment with our Social Purpose will be given priority*