At CoBank, the Chief Banking Officer reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and is accountable for the Lending, Leasing, Agriculture Export Financing, Capital Markets/Syndications, Cash Management and Online Banking across the bank’s Agribusiness, Rural Infrastructure and Banking Services segments. Responsible for developing and executing the business strategy of the bank in support of the Board of Directors’ approved business and financial plan, with a focus on continuing growth while improving value and profitability. Contributes to the overall management of the bank through participation at the executive level in the development of short- and long-range strategic objectives, plans, and structure for the bank, and provides meaningful influence over all aspects of corporate strategy, supporting analytics and financial considerations. Represents Bank and Board interests as a member of senior committees of the bank, including the Management Executive Committee, Country Risk Committee, Credit Loan Committee, and Asset & Liability Committee. Maintains effective relationships with regulatory, governmental, industry, financial, and community groups to enhance financial performance and business effectiveness.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership and manages all activities within the Agribusiness, Rural Infrastructure and Banking Services segments to ensure growth, profitability, sound lending and leasing, and superior customer service. Directly manages all executives and their teams embedded within these business units.
- Further develops and enhances the bank’ suite of products and capabilities to more effectively and comprehensively serve existing and future customers of the bank.
- Selects, develops, and motivates an effective and collaborative management team and delegates authorities to develop appropriate business strategies, set standards of performance, evaluate performance of associates, and take actions necessary to accomplish objectives. Takes corrective action and consults Human Resources as necessary.
- Develops and implements marketing and business development strategies which emphasize customer retention, new business, effective pricing, and the cross-selling of the bank's suite of financial products and services.
- Complies with the bank's Board approved portfolio strategy.
- Develops business plans for areas managed consistent with the bank's strategic business objectives, and business and financial plans. Communicates these plans to associates, solicits input on development, and monitors progress towards achievement of same. Takes corrective action as necessary.
- Develops and maintains constructive relationships with the Farm Credit Administration, the Farm Credit Funding Corporation, trade associations, cooperative councils, universities, the financial community, and other institutions to enhance performance and relationships.
- Represents the bank in meetings with customers, FCS entities, government and industry leaders to provide enhanced value and develop meaningful partnerships and alliances.
- Oversees the preparation of the financial and business plans for areas of responsibility. Monitors the achievement of budgetary goals for responsibility areas and is ultimately accountable for their overall performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business or other relevant discipline.
- Fifteen (15) or more years of progressive, relevant experience in commercial banking, including experience as a senior leader within an institution of comparable scale and complexity; or an appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Proven record of growing top line revenue while also driving profitability and value in a commercial banking business, without sacrificing the highest level of customer service.
- Balance of commercial and strategic strengths; proven ability to lead revenue-generating activities of a company, line of business, or region, and simultaneously have meaningful influence and oversight for product development and strategic planning activities.
- In-depth knowledge of financial management and strategy fundamentals within a banking environment, with proven ability to apply these fundamentals in a strategic planning capacity.
- Excellent general management, analysis, negotiation, business development and decision-making skills.
- Strong credit risk acumen and current knowledge of risk management best practices.
- Excellent leadership, people management and organizational development skills, with a demonstrated ability to motivate in a team-oriented and collaborative work environment, and promote, foster and build a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Ability to build and maintain successful relationships with all levels of executives, internal team members, and external stakeholders and partners in the Farm Credit System.
- Excellent written and verbal communications and presentation skills.
- Familiarity with lending in agriculture and/or other related segments preferred.
- Ability to travel required.
CoBank stands strong as a $125 billion enterprise dedicated to the financial needs of rural communities. That means we help fund new ways to grow food, generate energy, access technology, and otherwise improve life in America. When you choose a career with us, you make a difference by standing for something that matters. A career at CoBank can offer you the opportunity to make a personal impact on the people and communities where we do business. We also provide competitive compensation, health and wellness benefits, company-funded retirement plan, matching 401(k), and professional development programs.
CoBank will not sponsor a work visa (e.g. H1B, etc.) to fill this position.
CoBank is an Equal Opportunity Employer.