Reports to the Vice President of Marketing
As the product manager of our portfolio of signature flours and our gluten free product line, the brand manager performs an integral role in understanding our business, analyzing performance, and working with our marketing and sales teams to drive results. This person will be hands-on from analyzing sales results and marketing effectiveness to defining and influencing brand and product specific marketing strategy in order for King Arthur Flour to achieve our targeted sales and gross margin goals. The brand manager is responsible for developing and maintaining the identity of our products and ensuring that they consistently represent the company’s brand story.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION
The Brand Manager plays a central role in ensuring the profitability of our products and product lines through planning, monitoring, and presenting recommended courses of action. Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintains accurate product analysis including sales volume, pricing, and gross margins.
- Consolidates and communicates product line plans to Marketing and Sales.
- Tracks product performance for relevant competition to determine benchmarks for success and performance against goals. Furthermore, utilizes this data to recommend corrective action when necessary including promotional programs, in-store and shopper marketing programs, advertising support, direct to consumer support, product enhancement and distribution and pricing strategies.
- Develops tracking tools to monitor the execution of King Arthur Flour tactics such as regional marketing campaigns and pricing action.
- Collaborates and strategizes with trade promotion and sales to analyze customer performance, develop pricing, promotion and distribution strategies.
- Manages quarterly/seasonal product line reviews within the company.
- Support annual planning process with sales team and marketing leadership by providing data needs as well as insight into 4-Ps (Product, Pricing, Promotion, and Placement) best practices based on knowledge from regular data monitoring and analysis.
- Seeks input from sales, marketing, new business development and other key influencers to incorporate into the product and the product marketing.
- Provides direction for product features and benefits, points of differentiation.
- Develops marketing briefs to guide design and development.
- Partners with sales in development of presentations for account calls; including business updates and key strategy implementation.
- Uses trend, market and consumer research to help identify and convincingly propose growth opportunities for brands within current product lines. Keeps up-to-date on consumer and industry insights that can be used to develop more powerful consumer communications, brand programming, and product evolutions.
- Investigate business issues on an ad hoc basis using sales data with problem-solving tactics to determine reasoning and recommendations.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS & DESIRED SKILLS
- Positive attitude and ability to generate cross-departmental enthusiasm and cooperation to accomplish tasks.
- Strong analytic skills with demonstrated experience developing insight from data and analytics.
- Ability to identify emerging trends and make timely recommendations on findings.
- Must be self-motivated, energetic, adaptable, flexible and reliable.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Proficient in Excel and Powerpoint.
- Able to prioritize, multi-task, and manage deadlines.
- Detail oriented, a sense of urgency.
- Exhibit vision and initiative.
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Ability to integrate several data sources into one cohesive presentation.
- Genuine enthusiasm for baking and King Arthur Flour.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree, MBA strongly preferred.
- 5+ years of direct experience managing products and product lines in a branded, consumer products company.
- Food industry experience preferred, but not required.
- Experience performing sales analysis.
- Experience using syndicated data from Nielson, IRI, and/or SPINS.
- Proven brand and business management skills.
- Strong knowledge of relevant consumer markets and the competitive landscape.