Senior Tools Engineer
Let's talk some truth: Making games is hard. It's a collision of art and technology that’s about as predictable as a tornado. There's no secret formula, no foolproof blueprint—but it certainly helps to have a reason for making games in the first place. "Every Player's Story is Unique." At Hangar 13, that's why we make games. We’re currently creating an intense action game set in an immersive world and with a strong narrative, but player agency is at the heart of everything we do. We want to give players the freedom to choose how to overcome challenges and make meaningful decisions that shape the world and characters around them.
Hangar 13 is looking for a highly self-motivated Senior Tools programmer who enjoys a collaborative and creative work environment. Senior Tools programmers work directly with content creators to give them the power to create amazing experiences and to support our culture of iterative design to make AAA games.Create and maintain tools for an unannounced multi-platform game currently in pre-production using proprietary software and technology.
• Proactively identify the tools that will be needed throughout development.
• Work with the art, design, and audio departments to design and create new tools based on the changing needs of the project.
• Create and maintain documentation of all tools and their usage.
• Participate in the design of the game features to assist in the creation of supporting tools and technologies.
• Improve existing pipelines and tools to decrease iteration times for content creators.
• Expertise with the C/C++ and C#/.NET programming languages along with a strong familiarity with OO design principles.
• 5+ years of programming experience on commercial software projects.
• WPF/MVVM knowledge is advantage.
• DevExpress knowledge is advantage.
• Ability to work directly with content creators and iterate on the tools efficiently.
• Self motivated and able to drive ideas to completion.
• Strong ability to quickly learn new areas of development.
• Proven ability to work well with all game development disciplines.
• Ability to analyze a situation and communicate the most effective and efficient solution.
• Experience in UI design and artist workflow.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
• Shipped AAA console or PC titles.
• Experience developing for game consoles (PS3, XBOX 360, etc).
• In-depth knowledge of game content pipelines at previous projects.
• Familiarity with Perforce and bug-tracking software.
• Experience with 3D Studio MAX, MaxScript, Maya, and MEL.
• Multithreading knowledge.
ABOUT HANGAR 13:
Hangar 13 is the newest 2K development studio. We’re focused on creating AAA games for console and PC. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. We are located just thirty minutes north of San Francisco, where we’re currently building our own proprietary engine and tools in service of our unannounced first title.